Monday, December 03, 2012

Reflection Upon Reflections

If you are a regular reader, you know I have been running a series of my students' writings based on James 1:22-24. Called Mirror Reflections, each essay starts off with, 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Several nights ago, I received this e-mail from one of my international students from Asia. Here is what she said, used by permission:

Dear Coach Hawley,
The only reason why I send you this email is that I want to say "thank you." I know I can go to your classroom and directly say it tomorrow morning, but I want to tell you how I am feeling now.

I just went to your blog and read the post "when I look in a mirror." (I also read mine, too, and realized that I am the only "G" among the students in 8th period.) I read all the joyfulness and blesses in the post, and they made me happy because all of those are already in my life as well. However, the parts that made me happier were the struggles in their lives

For a couple of months, I had been having very a frustrating and stressful life; I guess it was mostly because of the college. Ironically, I could not wait for college but did not want to be an adult at the same time.The responsibilities and the pressures from being an adult had become heavy burdens for me. Although I have left my family and lived alone in US for 2.5 years, I was still afraid of standing on my own as an adult. 

I was getting better and relaxed by my parents' prayers and encouragement, but the post in your blog completely has relieved me. It may sound weird or selfish, but I was so happy and relaxed that other people have same fears and worries as I do. After I read it, it also reminded me that the Bible verse, Matthew 11:28:
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Now, I know Jesus has been taking my burden from me, so I do not have to worry about anything in the future! 

Thank you for letting me have the wonderful opportunity to look back myself and others.I am blessed to be in your class in my senior year! 
See you tomorrow and have a good night! 

Love,
G

I love what this wonderful young lady penned about discovering the struggles others are facing. Too often, we believe our problems are unique to us. This girl understands she's not alone and she tied it in with one of Jesus' great teachings. It's one thing to hear and comprehend; it's the mark of maturity to apply. And as always, the teacher is taught by the pupils.

Applicable quote of the day:
  No student knows his subject: the most he knows is where and how to find out the things he does not know
Woodrow T. Wilson 

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: