Saturday, September 03, 2016

Revolutionaries

I'm cursed. I like few television shows and when I do, they are cancelled! This entry, from October 18, 2012, is about one of them!
I think I'm addicted. Over the past fifteen years or so, there have been very few television shows I've really looked forward to. I got into Friday Night Lights but then it was cancelled; the original cast of high school kids graduated and the ratings were never that spectacular. Then, two years ago, I got caught up in The Event, a show with the concept of aliens crash landing in Alaska in 1944 and infiltrating society; it never made it past the first season. (Coincidentally, I've penned entries about both shows if you're interested!) And now, I'm hooked on Revolution, NBC's new ratings blockbuster after only five episodes. I already have Monday nights, 9 PM, blocked out mentally a week in advance.
It has a fascinating concept. Although no one knows why, circa 2012, all the lights in the world go out at once and there is no power anywhere on earth, including batteries. Revolution is set fifteen years in the future past the blackout and American society has disintegrated, along with the government. What used to be the US is divided into several republics run by militias and life has returned to the brutality of the Dark Ages. The story line follows several members of the Matheson family who are believed have some connection with the power shutting off ....and may hold the key to the power being restored. And whoever can control the power, well, they have the power. On Tuesday morning, Bruse Boudreaux, one of our sophomores, and Coach Russell Carr and I speculate on the next turn of events and shocking twists of fate. I have been blindsided already- maybe that's the allure. 

The concept of power is key to the telling of the Biblical account, beginning with the universe being spoken into existence in Genesis 1. As we fast forward to the New Testament, we find maybe the key verse of all scripture, John 1:14: 'the Word became flesh' ...... and God became man. My classes memorize extensively and one passage I emphasize is Ephesians 3, verses 20-21:


Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine,
according to His power that is at work within us,
 to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

WOW! I tell the kids that the power to do anything is in us as supplied by our God! We talk about immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine meaning to square infinity, which I'm not sure is even mathematically possible. What Paul says our Father is willing to unleash in us, His feeble children, makes the energy which powers the technology of our earth seem the equivalent of a 40 watt bulb, flickering during a storm. I've been overwhelmed with the dependence we have on electricity that has been illuminated by Revolution but it pales to what we have at our disposable, willingly offered by the One who gives us life. He's just waiting for us to plug in. And that is what can light this dark planet.


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1




No comments: