Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Apple's Path




This is the story of one of my favorite students ever. It is from September 24, 2012.
Most everyone who went to Sunday school as a kid knows the story of the conversion of Saul after he was blinded by a great light on the road to Damascus to persecute believers. On September 11, I ran a devotional about Sherry, a Christian lady from China who I met at the airport here in Houston, helping her procure the renewal of her passport. Sherry works for the same group that I have been involved with on two trips to Asia, China Agape Missions, and the entry, called The Shining, chronicles the path she followed in becoming a believer. On Saturday, I received an e-mail from Apple, one of my students from last year who like Sherry, is Chinese. I wish I was blessed to teach her again this year but she has moved on to her junior Bible section. After reading the story of Sherry, Apple outlined how she became a follower of Jesus Christ. She has given me permission to share it with you:

Dear Coach Hawley,
                It is so true that we are not obliged to believe in God, while amazed by His power. As I often tell others, I used to be a non-believer in China, because I could not understand or get influenced by the Buddhism, and there are quite few Christians. It was really hard for me to see or find Jesus in my life. When I came to the US, I was first influenced by my uncle and auntie, because they are sincere believers and followers of Jesus Christ, who encouraged me to believe in Him. I went to church every Sunday, to praise Lord my Savior, and as time passed by, I fully accepted Him and finally got baptized before my 18th birthday! I will tell others proudly that I am a Christian before becoming an adult. =)

Every Christian has a story of their road to Jesus. Mine was paved by my parents and by their parents and by their parents. Not everyone is so blessed. What a joy for Apple's aunt and uncle to know they were directly responsible for her birth into the kingdom. I pray I'm working on my road building skills every day. There are billions of Apples out there but the one I know is truly one of a kind.

Applicable quote of the day:
"To convert somebody, go and take them by the hand and guide them."
Thomas Aquinas

God bless,
Steve

Luke 18:1
E-mail me at shawley@westburychristian.org

*picture courtesy of nyapplecountry.com*

No comments: