Sunday, August 12, 2012

Words Of Another



One thing about a mission, or at least my recent ones to Asia, is that you have considerable time to think. It was specially true this July, considering I had roughly twenty-five hours in the air each direction! Songs that had not crossed my mind in years, maybe decades, floated back through my consciousness. I don't think I had heard Peter Skellern's You're A Lady since the seventies but I was able to find it on youtube while in Vietnam. It wasn't a huge hit in the US but it made it to #3 on the English charts. It also wasn't your typical rock song by any stretch, using orchestra and choir backing. But something in the lyrics stuck with me all those years and surfaced in Southeast Asia. I wish I could write deep and thought provoking pieces every night but that is a daunting task. Sometimes, like tonight and like several nights in Can Tho, I wish I could write like Peter Skellern composed. If you are a former girlfriend, maybe he's saying what I was trying to say.

Applicable quote of the day:
Great endowments often announce themselves in youth in the form of singularity and awkwardness.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: