Friday, May 05, 2017

Dark Shadows

Some movie scenes you can't forget! This is from August 29, 2012. 
Several months ago, one of my former players/students, Juliette, suggested I should do an entry on her favorite celebrity, Audrey Hepburn. On several occasions, I have used Hepburn sayings in my applicable quote of the day section but I really know little about the legendary actress. I could tell you she starred in Breakfast At Tiffany's but not much more. Google filled in some blanks for me. I found out she is ranked the third greatest actress by the American Film Institute. I discovered she was born in Belgium, died at age sixty-three, and is buried in Switzerland. She won awards for her humanitarian work and was actively involved in UNICEF. And did you know Truman Capote wanted her role in Breakfast At Tiffany's to be filled by none other than Marilyn Monroe? (A confession here; my favorite Breakfast At  Tiffany's moment was really on Seinfeld when George crashed a family viewing of the rental movie because he was in a book club and too lazy to actually read the assignment.) 

I do have a favorite Audrey Hepburn moment, though. It remains the scariest second I've ever seen on the movie screen although my students probably wouldn't see it that way. It comes right at the end of the thriller, Wait Until Dark. Hepburn plays a blind housewife whose husband is out of town and who accidentally comes into possession of a doll stuffed with heroin. The bad guys try to reclaim it from her and it becomes a battle of wits. In the climactic scene....... well, you'll just have to watch the clip yourself! We talked in class last week about light and dark and why animals aren't afraid of the nighttime. I told them I think it's because they don't know the difference between good and evil. From the beginning, the dividing line between God and Satan has been light. John 1:5 tells us that,"the light shines in the darkness but the darkness has not understood it." Believers are at a disadvantage if we don't realize there are two sides in the conflict. It doesn't take much illumination to make an impact. After all, little children don't sing, 'This HUGE light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.' Audrey Hepburn got the shock of her cinematic life when she believed the evil had been extinguished. We don't have to wait until it's dark- it threatens to engulf us. Jesus said, "I am the light of the world." He also said, "You are the light of the world." I don't think that was a misprint or in movie lingo, a blooper. He was shedding light on what we CAN be. What we cannot afford to be is naive. The darkness never rests.


To watch the scene from Wait Until Dark, click or copy/paste the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0s_qq2clHA



Applicable quote of the day:
"I don't want to be alone, I want to be left alone."
Audrey Hepburn

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: