Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July June Bug (Joe Widick)


Good evening! Lord willing, I am more than three weeks into my trip to Vietnam! Tonight's entry is again from my former colleague/boss/elder/friend/brother in Christ, Joe Widick of Lebanon, Tennessee. Joe often fills in for me while I am out of the country! Keep me in your prayers!

Sunday was a difficult day.  My sisters and I gave up our father.  We are thankful for his life, guidance and love.  Elaine and I were keeping over the weekend Faith and John Derrick.  We also had our youngest granddaughter from Houston, Josie.  What a comfort to have young happy children playing in the house.  It meant more to me than their parents will ever know.  I was sitting at the kitchen table with Faith who was showing me a video on the computer when all of a sudden we heard a buzz and flying by us was a June Bug.  Faith shrieked not knowing what it was. She doesn’t like bugs!  You can guess what happened from that point on.  Elaine got the thread and we tied it to its hind leg.  Our poor “deprived” grandchildren never had had the fun of flying a June Bug on a string.  Once they saw there was no harm coming to them from this delightful little creature, they took the string and took turns letting it fly.  In the midst of a sad day there was joy.  It was though God was saying “Joe, you need this laughter and happiness in your life.”  There is a passage in the book of Psalms where the psalmist is speaking about God.  He says; “You have filled my heart with greater joy….I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone O Lord, make me dwell in safety.”  (Psalms 4:7-8).  I can not help but think that just at the right time God sent a little June Bug into our life and for a time we laughed and played with this new found comfort.  My heart was filled a great joy.  When time came for all to go to bed, I was able to lay my head upon the pillow in peace. 

To me it is interesting to note that all the fancy games and play things that children have can so easily be replaced with a yard of thread and one of God’s creatures.  Maybe our world would be a better place if we spent more time in the simple things as oppose to all the technology we have.  Take time to be with your children or grandchildren, instilling in them the values of life that are so important.  Catch lightning bugs, play ball in the back yard, cut a watermelon together and enjoy time with one another.  Maybe by doing these simple things we could make our homes a little stronger.  Maybe we could help prepare the next generation to hold on to values that have seen us through.  And above and beyond times like , be certain to include the Lord.  Let Him be at the very heart of your family. 

Monday morning John Derrick let the June Bug get away.  We now have somewhere in our home a June Bug tied to a yard of thread.  Maybe he is hiding waiting for the next time he is needed. 

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: