Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Do You Want 5 G's Or Two C's? (Joe Widick)

We are blessed tonight with ore devotional thoughts from Joe Widick of Lebanon, Tennessee. Please keep praying for me in Vietnam!


I am not asking a question about grades. It would be a very low grade if you skipped over F and went to G. That is not what this is about. It is about an article that came from a national newspaper. The article was talking about the young people in Singapore. The article stated that they were aspiring to having the five C’s. The five C’s are: Cash in the bank, a career for the future, a car to drive, a condominium to live in and a credit card to travel with. The aspirations are high. To achieve these goals one would have to work hard, plan and save. In a manner of speaking, it appears to be the ingredients that often times makes up the American dream. The trouble is that many times, we Americans do not have the determination to accomplish our dreams. Too many feel as though they deserve something handed to them because they live in America. I digress! That is really not what this article is about. The article is really about the two G’s which will be far more important than the five C’s
In the 30th chapter of Proverbs the author Agur—a fanciful name for Solomon—or a real man, asked God for two G’s. The two G’s are simply grace and goodness. There seems to be a reason why Agur was asking for God’s grace. He was wanting to “remove falsehood and lied far from me” (Proverbs 30:8). It was important for Agur to not fall into the trap of believing that corrupt principles, practices, and affections are acceptable. With the help of God’s grace, he felt he could be turned from these concerns/worries. The second G that Agur asked for was the goodness of God to provide what he needed. He does not seem to ask for an abundance but simply no more or no less than was needed. He seems to be concerned that poverty could cause him to become covetous and to disgrace God’s name. He also realized how easily riches could pamper him and cause him to deny the Lord. As I look at how richly I have been blessed in this life, it makes me think of how richly blessed I want to be in eternal life. I don’t want to miss the opportunity to be with the creator and sustainer of life forever. So I have to ask myself what it that I really desire more is. Is it the temporary satisfaction the five C’s or the eternal rewards of God’s grace and goodness? The Psalmist wrote: “The Lord will give grace and glory; no good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly.” (Psalm 84:11). If my real desire is to receive the two G’s, then I need to desire to honor God’s name above all!

Prayer Thought: Please help me to get my priorities in order. 



God bless,
Steve

Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: