Saturday, January 23, 2016

One Way!


The young lady in this story is now a senior and I recently wrote a college recommendation for her! This is from March 12, 2012. 1D!
One of my students is obsessed. Well, maybe that's a little strong but let's just say Kaitlyn is TREMENDOUSLY ENTHUSIASTIC! Yesterday, I noticed every time I looked at FACEBOOK that Kaitlyn, one of my very bright eighth graders, had posted some new update about something called One Direction. From what I saw, it looked to be some sort of advertisement for a TV show or movie or the like. A quick glance at WIKIPEDIA enlightened me to the fact that One Direction is a boy band made up of five English and Irish young men who were put together  as a group for the British show The X Factor in 2010. Since then, their careers have skyrocketed, first in the UK and now in the US. Yesterday, Kaitlyn started a countdown of how long until they appeared on The Today Show (this morning) and how many hours until the release of their newest CD which apparently is tonight. In the last two days, she has posted at least twenty comments/pictures/etc of her favorite quintet. Some of her friends have accused her of going overboard- I like the one where a young man suggested an intervention. Good thing it's Spring Break; Kaitlyn has quite a bit on her mind!

Here's what I like about Kaitlyn who granted permission for me to write about her tonight and even told me she would love it and she was excited! I like the fact that she is enthralled and passionate about something and doesn't care who knows it. I'm not interested in five guys performing; the last five-some I thought played together perfectly was the 1970 New York Knicks. And yet, Kaitlyn's focus on One Direction led me to curiosity and now I have some small clue as to the objects of her affection. Isn't that what we are supposed to do as believers, make others curious as to what motivates our lifestyle? Listen, Kaitlyn is a well-balanced young lady. She makes great grades, is the model of classroom decorum, knows the Bible, serves as one of our Student Ambassadors, and is part of our outstanding WCS middle school cheer squad. She just 'loves' these teenage boys and their music. You know what else I found out when I googled One Direction? Their followers have their own name- Directioners. That should be good moniker for any of us. We ought to know where we are headed.

Applicable quote of the day:
“Here's a haiku/palindrome I wrote called, "Obsession."
Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob,
Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob,
Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob”
Jarod Kintz, (A Letter to Andre Breton, Originally Composed on a Leaf of Lettuce With an Ink-dipped Carrot)

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com 



No comments: