Sunday, June 04, 2017

Neil And David


I can still listen to Neil Young for hours at a time. This is from March 3, 2012.

I don't know why but I've been in a Neil Young mood the past week. I find myself going to YouTube and listening to his music over and over again. The Losing End, Cinnamon Girl, Harvest, The Needle And The Damage Done, Transformer Man, Long May You Run, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Cowgirl In The Sand, even the depressing A Man Needs A Maid- I can't get enough. (If you're a fan, you can tell I am partial to his early stuff.) Who knows where this urge came from. It's been years since I had any inkling to hear some of his work. Who's next? Linda Ronstadt? Al Green?  Patsy Cline? Time will tell.

Maybe it's just our relative difference in spiritual maturity but while I long to hear Neil Young's Canadian crooning, look at what King David longed for:
My soul is consumed with longing for your laws at all times.
How I long for your precepts! In your righteousness preserve my life.
My soul faints with longing for your salvation, but I have put my hope in your word.
I open my mouth and pant, longing for your commands.
long for your salvation, LORD, and your law gives me delight.
These quotations from Psalm 119 reveal David's desire to be fed by the Lord, specifically His laws, precepts, commands, and salvation. What we long for goes a long way in defining us. I read the Word everyday but not often do I long for it. Familiarity can take away freshness, maybe even longing. I'm not sure what the answer is. I don't think I'll find it on YouTube.

Applicable quote of the day:
"As I get older, I get smaller. I see other parts of the world I didn't see before. Other points of view. I see outside myself more."
Neil Young 

To watch and listen to The Losing End, click or copy/paste the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-9_ePrNPXs


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: