Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Waiting For Tomorrow


Before I left school this afternoon, I dropped by Rachel's office. Rachel Matthys works in our development department and I had a question about the recent auction in support of our new athletic facility. As is often the case, her nine-year old daughter, Cana, was sitting in her mother's cubicle, reading a book titled, as I recall, Twelve Finally. Cana is one of my favorites and an inspiration to many through the yard sales she hosts each Spring for orphans in Haiti and Honduras. She also was the inspiration for a number of our young ones making thread bracelets which I distributed to kids in Vietnam last summer. For a nine-year old, Cana has already left her mark. Rachel stepped out for a minute and Cana and I engaged in conversation. I asked if she had a good day and she replied that she had. That requires a follow up question so I asked, "What made it good?" There was no quick reply, She thought about it and pondered it and considered it. Finally, we agreed that she'll tell me tomorrow. I can't wait- I'm sure it will have been something special.

Let me tell you what I like about my talk with Miss Cana. Most of us give standard and rehearsed answers to conversational inquiries. Not Cana. Rachel told me her oldest daughter processes everything thoroughly before she comes to a conclusion. Most of us would blurt out a meaningless response to what I asked. Not Cana. Whether she realizes it or not, she gave dignity to my question and in the process, afforded a measure of dignity to me that most of us don't bestow on those around us. James 1:19 teaches that we should be quick to listen and slow to speak. I think Cana could put down that book she was reading and write a Bible commentary by her actions. I think her actions spoke louder than most sermons.

Applicable quote of the day:
"Children don't need much advice but they really do need to be listened to and not just with half an ear."
 Emma Thompson 

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: