Monday, February 22, 2016

Radio And Home


I find it amazing how music of all kinds can return us mentally to our childhood. This is from November 22, 2011.
Greetings from cold Wichita, Kansas. I drove in Saturday from Houston and had an uneventful trip, always a blessing. My plan is to stay with Dave and Sally for three days and move to Scott and Karen's for my last three days in Kansas. If I split it up, there's less chance they'll get tired of me! Then, next month, I'll repeat the process.

Driving through the Sooner State on Saturday, I spent several hours listening to radio station KOMA in Oklahoma City. Growing up in Nebraska, we listened to KOMA almost every night as it played the best selection of music we could find on the dial. I gained a good deal of knowledge about Oklahoma geography as a kid as well as learning the words to hundreds if not thousands of songs. Saturday afternoon, I realized their playlist was very similar to what I would have been exposed to as a child, only the decade changing. And in that familiarity, I felt comfort. It's why I love coming to Kansas for the holidays even though I've never lived here. Like KOMA, being with my brothers reminds me of childhood and that reminds me of my parents and wonderful memories. Jesus promised He was preparing a new home for His followers in the afterlife. Maybe that has meaning in eternity because it has so much meaning to us in this life. And someday, we won't be in Kansas anymore. I think there's a song in there somewhere.


Applicable quote of the day:
"I wanted to get that sense of peace and even boredom that comes with long familiarity."

Debbie Reynolds

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: