Friday, March 04, 2016

The Good Day

I subbed for a class with Reighna in it today. I also was blessed when she asked me to baptize her into Jesus some time back!  And bought Girl Scout cookies from her last month! This is from November 13, 2011.
It was a good day to be me at worship services. Tonight, Robbie and Jeff Miller sent a sizable package of brisket for my supper the next couple of  evenings. Dinner # 1 is in the books and it was a winner. The next several will undoubtedly be the same! I'm not sure why I deserve this kind of special attention but there are benefits to being a bachelor!

This morning, during our AM service greeting time, Lynette told me her daughter had something for me. Reighna, eight years old and one of our WCS students, had made a card for me this morning which is pictured above. The third grader was being unusually shy and had to be coaxed into presenting her gift. I have a spot for it already on my desk at school. Reighna is special. Often, when she passes me in the hall, she shoots a phantom basketball and holds a high one second follow through just like we worked on in basketball camp in June. I love watching Reighna and her older sister, Lexi, dote on their little baby brother every Sunday morning as they sit in the pew ahead of me with their mom and their dad, Kenneth, who is a fellow WCS teacher/coach. We read about righteous parents in Psalm 37:26 where David says:
They are always generous and lend freely; their children will be a blessing.
That describes Lynette and Kenneth. And that describes their daughters. And some day, that will describe their son as well. Righteous moms and dads produce righteous kids which makes for wonderful families who are a blessing in this world and the next. It's a pretty simple formula, so simple that you can read it between the lines of the card at the top of the page.

Applicable quote of the day:
"Having children makes one no more a parent than having a piano makes you a pianist."

Michael Levine

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

1 comment:

Sherry said...

This makes me smile. Steve, I hope to meet you for real some day. (I always have room in my heart for another brother) It sounds like those kids adore you and for good reason. It is truly inspiring to hear your stories. It makes me want to work harder to be a better wife and mother here at home. To be that loved by so many- what a gift!