Monday, September 26, 2011

My Constant Desire

Tonight, we feature the second part of a trilogy about running and spirituality by fellow WCS teacher/coach, Catherine Tinkler!

If you have been following my running, you know this is not something I do constantly. I picked up this new “hobby” for my senior daughter to offer her encouragement. There are others that I know for whom you could describe as more constant in their workouts such as Coach Carr, Coach Wagner, and Trinka Sandahl. I have seen them out exercising before school so often that one day this past week I was even able to tell that Trinka had extended her workout slightly because she was coming in from her routine later than normal.
 
For me, I have missed a few days here and there – a meeting to prepare for, a day off for muscle aches, and recently I took an intentional two week hiatus, September 1st through 13th because of a big golf tournament I was preparing for. I just couldn’t risk having sore muscles or twisting/pulling something and messing up what I had been working towards since last year. The funny thing is if I were more constant in my workout routine then these aches and pains, I am told, would go away. I can’t help but think that the three people I mentioned earlier don’t have aches because running or walking daily is part of their lifestyle.
 
I do have constants in my life – a constant need to teach to the best of my ability, a constant longing to be on the golf course, and a constant love for my kids and my husband Greg. I played golf on Friday evening after being back at running for three days. As I warmed up on the driving range there were aches associated with my feet hitting the pavement earlier in the day. As I bent to mark my ball on the first green my shins cried out. Then, as I went to hit my third drive my hips just didn’t want to turn. All of this is really my own doing … I am not constant in my running.
 
It’s like taking a break from what should be some of our daily/weekly time spent with Christ – reading the Bible, prayer, church attendance. We really are better off not taking a break in the first place. It’s a richer experience to keep the relationship going all the time instead of just rushing to God when the times are tough. My constant desire is to serve my God and it’s up to me to run with Him all the time and not just when I feel good. My cross country season is coming to an end but the other constants in my life are not.

2 Timothy 4:6-8
New International Version (NIV)
6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: