Friday, February 12, 2016

Heaven And Sin

We talked in class this week about Jesus calling a synagogue leader a hypocrite and I told the kids we all struggle with it at times. This is about one of my times. It's from September 17, 2011.
On several occasions, I've mentioned that I'm no big fan of country music. Ironically, I have a song of that persuasion that I can't get out of my mind,  Heaven's Just A Sin Away, by The Kendalls. It's a catchy tune and Jeannie Kendall has a great voice but something bothers me. It bothers me that I like a song whose story line is a woman who is about to commit adultery and  feels she is defenseless in the situation.


Heaven's just a sin away,
Oh-woh, just a sin away.
I can't wait another day,
I think I'm giving in.
How I long to hold you tight,
Whoh-oh, be with you tonight.
That still won't make it right,
'Cause I belong to him.

Oh-oh, way down deep inside,
I know that it's all wrong.
Your eyes keep tempting me.
And I never was that strong.
Devil's got me now,
Oh-woh, gone and got me now.
I can't fight him anyhow,
I'm think he's gonna win.


I get the idea that Satan wants us to believe that sinning will bring us joy, that crossing a line we know is forbidden will render us ecstatic. In reality, I find my sin brings disgust, shame, and anger with myself for lacking the willpower to resist the lures of the Evil One. The guidelines, principles, and rules the Lord lays down for His children are increasingly showing themselves to be the cornerstones of a wise life each time I stumble and dust myself off.  I can resist with help! Someone should write a song from that perspective. Wait- Martin Luther did! Here is the third verse of A Mighty Fortress Is Our God, English translation by Frederick Hedge:

And though this world, with demons filled,
should threaten to undo us,
we will not fear, for God hath willed
his truth to triumph through us. 
The Prince of Darkness grim,
we tremble not for him;
his rage we can endure,
for lo, his doom is sure;
one little word shall fell him.


Luther's tune is not as catchy as The Kendalls' but his sentiments are much more hopeful. We have Jesus, the best- and only- defense against our adversary, the devil. And, we have to want to resist. That's my next stage of development!

Applicable quote of the day:
"A revival does two things. First, it returns the Church from her backsliding and second, it causes the conversion of men and women; and it always includes the conviction of sin on the part of the Church. What a spell the devil seems to cast over the Church today!"

Billy Sunday

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

http://www.hawleybooks.com/
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: