Friday, July 15, 2011

Girls and Convertibles (Joe Widick)

This is the fifth entry from the one and only Joe Widick. I really appreciate all of your prayers!

I don’t make a habit of following girls in convertibles, it just happened on one of those warm spring days.  I had been to visit my parents and was returning home.  A blue convertible with four teenage girls in it passed me.  They were laughing and having a good time.  Their hair was blowing in the breeze, but seemingly it did not bother them.  They were stopped at a red light and I pulled up behind them.  The driver was looking in the rear view mirror (not at me), and began immediately to get her hair neat.  The other three girls miraculous pulled little mirrors from purses (I guess), and began to work on their hair also.  The light turns green and off they go again, hair blowing every which way.   We came to the next red light and were once again stopped.  You can guess what took place.  Out came the mirrors once again and the hair straightening started all over.  This happened for three red lights before our paths took us in different directions. 
Have you ever found yourself  determining within yourself not to go back and repeat a sin.  Maybe you found yourself in a situation where you felt the only way out was to tell a “little lie.”  You tell the lie the situation ends and all is well!  But then you stop to contemplate what you have done.  You did not stand-up for the truth.  You compromised your values.  You did exactly what you knew was wrong.  You talk to God and ask for His forgiveness and He is faithful and gracious and forgives you.  The next day starts and you allow the pressures of life to get the best of you and once again you do that which is wrong, and you find yourself once again going to God asking for strength and forgiveness.  As the girls in the blue convertible went down the road, they had little concern for their hair.  When they stopped and thought about it, they felt a need to get their hair back in order.  I do not know about you, but I would like to do better than what I do.  I want to be a child of God, who serves to my very best, not making the same mistake over and over again.  Wouldn’t it be grand to end our day and go to our father and instead of asking him to forgive that oft repeated sin, to be able to say, thank you Lord for giving me the strength and wisdom to avoid that same mistake.  I believe that God would smile down on us and say to Himself, “well done my child.”  What a joy it is to one of his children and to know that he is looking out for us. 

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: