Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Looking Glass, Scene 3



(This is the second continuation of Monday night's entry- I am repeating the introduction below.)
We worked on one of my favorite assignments in our classes today. This week, the memory verse we are studying is James 1:22-24:
"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.''
We discussed the meaning and I brought up that Mom, in her late stages of Alzheimer's, did not recognize her own image. I told the kids that sometimes at the end of the day, I look at myself in the mirror, and don't always like what I see. The kids finished this statement: 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Every student was allowed complete confidentiality and I did not even read any that requested privacy. My students were very honest. Over the next few nights, I'll run some of the responses of those who wanted to share; boys are in blue and girls are in purple. These are a mixture of 8th graders, sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Some will choke you up.


"When I look in the mirror, I see a girl with many imperfections; imperfections in actions and in her own mind, how she looks. I see a girl who wants to be beautiful, even though she is to many and to God. He thinks I am perfect and sees nothing wrong with me. God made me and He is pleased. I see a girl with high standards who is willing to work. I see me and that will never change, no matter what people say." M.

"When I look in the mirror, I see a handsome young man with a thirst for knowledge and wisdom. Bu I also see a young man who who wishes people around him would see him for the person he is. I see someone who puts a wall up to block the insults that used to beat him down. I see a child of God who wants to stay strong with Him but takes the wrong path. In the mirror is a person who wants to change the world for the better and is willing to do it God's way. I see someone, however, who is quick to speak and slow to listen and if it doesn't change, he will never achieve the opportunities God has given him. He will squander them like the foolish man in the parable who tears down his barns just to build bigger ones." V.

"When I look in the glass, I see a face that everyone says is beautiful but changes with obstacles. I see a girl who tried to change her physical image in the past just to fit in. I see confidence in her stance but insecurities when you look into her eyes deeply. I see someone who tries to do things out of the ordinary and never reaches them but some day, she will. I see a person who has had wounds from being picked on that are scarred but now are healed. I see a caterpillar in a cocoon ready to come out as a butterfly. 'A reflection is only what you think it is on the outside but it's the inside that people don't know.' " C.

"When I look in the mirror, I see a confident young man. He has to be confident because he has great expectations. He has to work twice as hard because everyone thinks he has made it to where he is because of his dad. He has put in long hours of hard work. He loves his father but does not want to live in his shadow." D.


"When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who has many hidden insecurities and doubts. When I do my best, I feel I always fall short of what I could do. I feel like I'm not good enough. I also see a smart, kind girl who tries to be nice to everyone, even though it is hard and she is stubborn. BUT, I know that God has a plan for me and that I am His child." E.

"When I look in the mirror, I see an attractive, thoughtful, and quiet young man. I also see someone who has confidence in the future but lacks confidence in the present, based on his experiences. I see nice skin and hypnotizing eyes but an uncertainty of what lies behind them." N.


Applicable quote of the day:
"A beautiful woman should break her mirror early."
Baltasar Gracian


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

1 comment:

Jacob said...

It was very interesting to see some of the words the students put. Some are very deep. Good post. Have a good weekend Coach Hawley.