Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Hand In Hand

This entry is from March 10, 2011. We have kept the tradition I speak of  going in both basketball in 8th grade Bible. It's a tradition I love.

My basketball team practices the first period of every school day, even in the off season. As a team, we pray before and after practice, stacking it up as a group. During homeroom, which happens as soon as the girls change into their school uniforms, we listen to a devotional over the intercom given by Dr. Robert Farrar, our WCS chaplain. Doc always concludes his thoughts with a prayer. A number of weeks ago, my girls began reaching out to each other and holding hands while Doc prays. It was not from my direction and I don't know which young lady instigated the tradition but I like it. Recently, the six girls on the team who are all in my eighth grade, eighth period Bible class began holding hands during the prayer I begin each lesson with. Some of the boys have joined in as well. As in our basketball practice, it completely came from the kids. And like the morning devotional, I appreciate what these kids are doing with this small spiritual gesture.


Our walk with the Lord comes in small steps, even as grown ups. Holding hands during prayer might mean nothing to you but as someone whose profession is working with adults-in-training, I can tell you this is a step. It tells me the kids are trying to focus on the Lord, trying to bring each other into the communication with the Father. Adults try to organize everything for kids but much of the time, they can do fine without us. They can reach out to each other in a way their elders cannot. Sometimes, my kids need me to lend them a hand. More often, they have matters perfectly in hand, thank you.

Applicable quote of the day:
“I believe in prayer. It's the best way we have to draw strength from heaven.”
Josephine Baker


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

http://www.hawleybooks.com/
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com
*The picture above is from hellobeautiful.com

3 comments:

Kristi Maloney said...

Hello! I am a new follower here and so glad I found your blog. Check out mine at http://www.momsownwords.com.

Day-Dreaming Optimist said...

Thank you for sharing this story! I can understand how it touched your heart as the leader of these kids for them to lead themselves in a good way - the Lord is so good! I pray that these kids will keep encouraging each other, and that you will keep doing what you're doing :)

Herbie said...

Love your words Sir. Thank God for Teachers Like You. Amen