Friday, January 04, 2019

Hand Aid

Usually the first step in an affectionate romantic relationship is holding hands- that's how you spot the new couples at school! This is about hands in a spiritual sense. It is from March 13, 2011.
Every Sunday morning, I'm in charge of communion in the Chinese part of our congregation. While preparing mentally for what I would say this morning, a thought crossed my mind about a blog and I needed to write it down. I don't carry a pen or paper but Nina who sits next to me, did. On my hand, I wrote WDTW. That means nothing to you, I know, but it is a reminder to me about a subject on these premises, probably tomorrow night. I think it's interesting that I wrote on my left hand, not on my foot or stomach, leg or the back of the neck. On my hand, the reminder will always be in my vision and I'm more likely to follow through. At least, that's the plan.


I have a long, jagged scar across my left hand where I nearly severed my thumb in a college work accident. Looking at it brings back memories that still make me shiver and leaves me vary wary of glass. Jesus told His followers to take of the Lord Supper as a reminder of Him. What was it He showed Thomas when he doubted the resurrection? His Hands and their nail prints, which is the sign of Jesus in the International Sign Language. I tell my students that you can tell about a person by their hands; smoker, weight lifter, butcher, etc. You can tell everything by looking at the hands of Jesus; they still carry the sins of the world.

Applicable quote of the day:
"The final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands."
Anne Frank


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

2 comments:

Solomon Alexander said...

Great blog, Steve. Your message is really uplifting. Want to let you know that yo've been named as a Stylish Blogger by Solomon Alexander at www.stlsportsmanship.blogspot.com

Cindy Ellison said...

Excellent! I am going to have to find Whistle Down the Wind! This sounds like my kind of movie. Thank you for sharing this.