Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Boy



I saw this last night on another blog and it has haunted me all day. I showed it to my students and asked who we were, the boy or the man. Jesus said, "I was hungry and you gave me something to eat." He also said, "I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat." Which of the descriptions by Jesus fits me? We just finished the parable of the rich man and Lazarus. Lazarus was laid at the rich man's gate to beg every day. He must have received something there or he would not have returned. Still, the rich man ends up in torment. Which of the descriptions by Jesus fits me?
God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

6 comments:

Lovey said...

Father...forgive us for we know not what we do....

Naturally Carol said...

At various times I am the rich man and sometimes the beggar. The world will not give me what I need, and sometimes I do not give others what they need. My only hope is in Christ..He gives me what I need when I seek Him and when I am walking with Him I feed others with the Bread He gives me to feed them.

Cindy Ellison said...

I agree with Naturally Carol, sometimes I am the rich man and other times the starved beggar. What a haunting image, I won't be forgetting this for a long time. It sure gives us something to think about.

Karen Kyle Ericson said...

This is disturbing and also very powerful. By God's grace I hope I would help the boy. But I too can get off track. It's like a wake-up call isn't it? Telling us to wake up and notice those around you. Jesus has work for us to do.

Miawa said...

"A picture says a thousand words", this is powerful and painful. How human or how Godly are we?

Karen said...

Oh, no. Can we really be that callous? So moving and soul-searching.