Friday, January 21, 2011

Family Pride

I'm not one to brag and I'm no great fan of American Idol but this is pretty neat. My second cousin, Caleb Hawley, appeared on the FOX Network blockbuster show Wednesday night and apparently wowed the judges! I can't say I know him at all. Caleb is the son of my first cousin, Dale, and his wife, Vicki. Dale was my college roommate and we collaborated for the messiest dorm room ever in the storied history of York College. I can remember meeting Caleb only once and that when he was very small but he is the spitting image of Dale, who could just be the nicest person I have ever met in my life. Maybe the talent chromosome that was recessive in me is dominant enough to propel Caleb to a wonderful career. You can never have too many celebrities with class. Below I have reprinted an article from the York (Nebraska) News-Times website, written by their wonderful reporter, Melanie Wilkinson. Thanks for indulging my living vicariously through the ability of one of my kin.God bless,
Steve (COUSIN OF CALEB!)

Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com
Former York College student auditions for competitionBy Melanie Wilkinson
Published: Friday, January 21, 2011 8:06 AM CST
YORK — Aerosmith lead singer Steven Tyler was so excited about Caleb Hawley’s talent, he nearly jumped over the “American Idol” judges’ table as he welcomed the former York College student to Hollywood.

Hawley, who was a student here several years ago and is now a resident of New York City, auditioned for the popular televised competition in New Jersey. The 25-year-old was the second person sent into the judges’ chambers for the 2011 season, appearing in the first episode Wednesday night.

While it’s a daunting thing to stand in front of Randy Jackson, a veteran judge on the long-running reality series, it was even more exciting this year as Tyler and Jennifer Lopez are now two of “the deciders.”

Hawley’s version of Ray Charles’ “Hallelujah I Love Her So” was animated and full of vocal range, as the longtime musician showed the judges what he’s got. Within seconds of starting the audition, he had Tyler keeping time on the desk and even injecting his own voice and harmony. At Hawley’s last note, Tyler threw his hand in the air and instantly proclaimed “Yes! Yes!” — obviously voting in favor of Hawley moving onto the next round in Hollywood where the competition is filmed.

Lopez and Jackson enthusiastically agreed, with Lopez even calling Hawley “cute.”

“You were so good!” Tyler told Hawley. “You’ve got the voice, the character . . . you’re something new, something different.”

Hawley was met by a throng of friends and family members, who were anxiously waiting in the hallway. “Idol” host, Ryan Seacrest, wasn’t far behind, offering Hawley a handshake and his congratulations.

“American Idol” is a nationwide talent search, as the Fox Network looks for the most exciting, young musical talents. After coast-to-coast auditions, the best of the best compete on a weekly basis in Hollywood and America votes on who should stay, who should go. When all is said and done, by the end of the spring, there will be one person left standing — that performer is proclaimed the American Idol, who gets a recording contract and ultimately a shot at a big time musical career.

Hawley, who recently performed a benefit concert at York College, said during an earlier interview that he’s thoroughly enjoying where music is taking him. He’s currently in the middle of a 13-state performance tour and is scheduled for a concert at York College on Feb. 14, followed by a booking in Omaha a day later.

Hawley told the News-Times Thursday morning that he isn’t allowed to discuss the American Idol process or his experience so far. The details of competitive reality shows are typically kept secret as filming is underway.

But his tone was certainly enthusiastic — almost as excited as he was after hearing he’d be among the chosen few on the American Idol stage.

“I’m going to Hollywood!” Hawley told the Fox filming crew. “I’m going to Hollywood!”

And as he does, the York community will be cheering him on.

10 comments:

Karen Kyle Ericson said...

How cool is that? Congrats to both of you! God bless you both :)

Beth said...

Congratulations! You have every right to be proud!

Terry Laudett said...

Congratulations to your cousin! I have not watched the show in a few years, but many good performers have had their big breaks on American Idol (even if they did not win it all). Hopefully, he will find success and opportunities to honor God on a large platform, too.

Betsy Brock said...

Well, I'm trying to comment on the most recent post but can't find the link!

I wanted to say how great for your cousin and best of luck to Caleb!

peggy said...

Thanks for visiting me --this will be so much fun to know someone who knows someone on the show. He looks like a nice young man. I will visit your blog regularly, so nice to meet you.

Clint said...

Sounds like an excellent gene pool. I hope to see him later on! Blessings...

Anonymous said...

Praying for the very best for Caleb! I hope his career goes far and blesses many.

Jessica Kramasz said...

Congrats!
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm now following you as well.

Rebecca S. Revels said...

He is amazing! I'll admit that I have never watched this program- but he really has a great talent and is very deserving of every opportunity..

Jeanette Gartner said...

How exciting!! Wish I could watch Idol here in Roatan and watch him progress.