Friday, August 13, 2010

More Thoughts From China


Here is the last e-mail I sent to family from the orphanage. It marked the end of a terrific three and one half weeks for me!

Sorry to have been out of touch for several days but that's life here! Today is our last full day and we sort of said our good byes. This morning in our Bible class, we had the kids write out The Blessing of Aaron (Numbers 6:24-26) in both Chinese and English. Lavender and I signed our names to them and we asked the kids to put them up by their beds so they will remember us. We leave early in the morning by bus, a 3 1/2 hour trip, to Changsha. Lavender will take a train home and I will spend the night in a motel. My flight back to Beijing is the next day. A young lady who volunteered here for a week will make sure I get to the airport!

Here are a few thoughts: Lavender has been doing a great job in the little kids class in the afternoon. We have 30 kids here now and on Monday and Tuesday, 27 of them showed up! Obviously, that includes many of the older kids. She makes it fun with coloring of Bible stories and English lessons off the computer. She has the skills to be a great teacher! I mentioned before that she is not a Christian but she has translated many Bible stories in the past three-plus weeks! She received some tough news today. The education department called and she has to take her teacher exam on Friday. She was planning on staying in Changsha for several days and she has not reviewed the material. She thought the test was several weeks off. Please pray for her!

There was a funeral next door yesterday. Apparently, the neighbor lady took her life. For three days there was non-stop fireworks that were so loud, it seemed like we were under siege. (Chesshirs; think 4th of July in Nashville!) The director said the people do not believe in the Lord and the noise is to scare away the ghosts. The funeral was very colorful and loud and the kids were fascinated, looking out the windows. I will send some pictures in several days of the funeral which was an amazing event. Two nights ago, we had no power and had an outside late night devotional, holding hands in the middle of the basketball court, our prayers and songs punctuated by the loud booms! Very memorable!

Sunday morning began with an optional devotional, prayer and study of the Bible, the 4th chapter of John. It lasted from 6:15 to 7:45. Worship service was from 9-12:15 and remember, these are kids. They sit on mats and kneel to pray, boys and girls on opposite sides of the room. I spoke for about 45 minutes on my life and why I have faith.

A few random thoughts:

It is very easy to get attached to kids when you are with them all day and all night. I am nostalgic already.
You get used to the bugs: spiders, flies, mosquitoes.
Trail Mix tastes better in China and Pepsi is sweeter!
We had duck this week. I thought Lavender told me it was dog after I had finished. Fortunately, we got it straightened out!
The original kids from here speak much better English than the kids from the other orphanage. I think it is from an American girl who lived here for a year and taught the kids.
Please keep me in your prayers! Lord willing, I will update from Beijing on Friday. Thanks to all of you who send e-mails!

The Blessing of Aaron
24 " ' "The LORD bless you
and keep you;

25 the LORD make his face shine upon you
and be gracious to you;

26 the LORD turn his face toward you
and give you peace." '


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

No comments: