Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Back Home Again



After thirty-five days in China, I am back in Houston. How unreal is this: yesterday, I ate lunch in Beijing and went to bed in Houston. The thirteen hour time difference makes that possible. Monday lasted thirty-seven hours for me! This morning, I was back at work for the beginning of inservice and WCS was kind enough to let me sleep this afternoon. Try to sleep is more accurate; my sleep cycles are out of whack. It was an amazing trip and I will try to convey that with stories and pictures. Thanks to all of you who kept up in my absence and for all who prayed for me!

Two weeks into my twenty-four day stay at the orphanage, the kids were told that another orphanage was closing and that the next day, eighteen strangers would move in with them. There was some understandable nervousness but it was handled very well by the youngsters from both facilities and by Seashore, the director. The little boy above was the youngest of the new children. When he came, the back of his head was painted green, maybe some some sort of medicine to cover an infection. We did a considerable amount of coloring of Bible stories with the little ones. I told my new buddy that I wanted him to tape my picture next to his on the wall. He got really excited.... and not just because his art work is superior to mine. He is an example of children around the world who live in a vicious cycle of poverty, death of parents, and abandonment. Jesus told his disciples to not hinder the little ones from coming to Him. The Savior would have loved this boy while on the earth and I know He still does!

Applicable quote of the day:
"When planning for a year, plant corn. When planning for a decade, plant trees. When planning for a life, train and educate people."
Chinese Proverb

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: