Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What Will She Become? (Joe Widick)

Today is the final installment of Joe Widick's work while I am in China. Joe is a gifted writer and I know you have been blessed!

Wednesday night I showed my class a picture of me holding a little two month old baby. The picture was taken while I was in Honduras. It was one of those moments that I will treasure. I was in the medical compound when I saw Kristen Stewart holding a little infant. I knew it was a moment to remember with a photo. As I moved closer to take the picture Kristen asked if I wanted to hold the baby. Who could turn down an opportunity like that! The little girl’s name was Genesis. I thought she was precious. Guess what she didn’t even cry while I was holding her. It has been a little over three weeks since I held her in my arms. I may never see her again. As I thought about that, I began to contemplate what her life has in store for her. What hardships will she face being brought up in a third world company? Will she experience much joy in life? Will she be healthy? Will her parents love her and care for her. Will she be in Sunday school classes learning about Jesus. Will she understand how much our savior loves her, so much that he would give his very life for her. Will she understand how important children were to Jesus? Remember Jesus said; “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” It seems from that statement that children have a very special place in the heart of Jesus.
Have you ever had those thoughts when you held your own child or grandchild? What will he or she become? As interesting as the question might me, it becomes more important that we do something to encourage righteous living in our children. We want to always be there to encourage them. We desire to know who their friends are and what they are doing. We don’t want to be so busy that we have little or no time for them. Family time becomes increasingly important. Can one think of anything grander than seeing your infant child grow and be healthy and then one day come to you and ask about becoming one of God’s children. This year we have been blessed to witness four families blessed by having one of their children accept Christ as their savior and put Him on in Baptism. That is what it is all about! I can not help but think that each who say yes to Jesus will find the temptations of life easier to deal with because they are a part of the Lord’s army. What will she become? My prayer is that she will become one of God’s children.

No comments: