Wednesday, July 14, 2010

God's Morning Miracle (Joe Widick)

Today, Joe speaks of his morning routine.

Like many of you, I find myself having to get up in the morning and it is still dark. I mean pitch dark! I usually make the coffee and pour a bowl of cereal for Elaine and me. By the time I am through making lunches for the day, the sun is beginning to peak over the horizon. As it does the darkness of the sky changes to orange and yellow colors. A new day is dawning, a day that I have never had the opportunity to experience. The wonderful thing about this day is that it begins with God’s “morning miracle” of the sun rising in the sky. A new day filled with hope, a day filled with activities, a day to serve, a day to read God’s word. Some days I take for granted the rising of the sun. Other mornings, His miracle seems to be more pronounced than the day before. Do we ever pause just to say thank you Lord for this display of your power and might in our lives?

Through the years I have grown particularly fond of a passage found in Lamentations 3: 22-24. Read again with me these beloved words; “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, ‘The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” Did you catch that phrase “…new every morning…” It is a joy in life to know that as I start my day, each and every day, that God’s love and compassion for me never grows weak, doesn’t wear out, and is not exhausted. Then I multiply that over and over for all the people who greet each new day and think that this is true for them just as it is for me. When I try to get this in my mind, I can truly say it is a “morning miracle.”


As I think about this “morning miracle” I can’t help but be thankful for being blessed so richly. But then I ask myself, what I am going to do with this blessing. Keeping it to myself? Do I Let it become my own little secret that I fail to share with others? We all see the sun rise and set, but do we understand that God, our creator and sustainer of life, designed it, planned for it, placed it in the sky for you and I. When I look up in the sky and see the sun glowing in all of its brilliance am I reminded of the words of John; “This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all” (I John 1:5). It will be wonderful one day to be with God forever and ever. To experience His love and compassion over and over, only this time it will be in a much more intimate way, for we will be in his presence. The next morning you experience this “morning miracle” think about God’s love and how grand it will be to be with him forever.

Prayer Thought: Thank you God for daily blessing our lives in such a powerful way.

No comments: