Thursday, May 06, 2010

Here's Looking At You, Scene 4


Here is the fourth installment of my students and their insightful looks at themselves. This was based on their Monday assigned memory verse, James 1:22-24. From that verse text, the kids finished the statement, "When I look in the mirror, I see..." Girls are in purple and boys are in blue.These are all used with the students' permission. Thanks for all your positive comments!

"When I look in the mirror I see someone who cares about others, but doesn't really do anything to help. I see a smart kid, who is too lazy when it comes to school work. I see a determined, hard-working kid that won't let anything come between him and his dream. I also see a confident young man who holds himself to high standards. I see someone who loves God, but doesn't take the time out to give Him the proper praise and worship. I see someone who people look up to and go to. I see someone who loves both of his parents, but doesn't always treat them with the respect they deserve."
D.

"When I look in the mirror, I see myself... I don't really think about it. But, when I reflect on who I am, I see that I am not as good of a person as I can be. In sports I strive for perfection. I work hard everyday to be PERFECT. And, to be honest, I don't try that much to be a perfect person. I try to do the best I can, and I try to convince myself that I am, but in my mind, deep down, I know I'm not. So when I look at myself in the mirror, I see someone who can always do better."
M.
"When I look in the mirror, I see insecurities; insecurities about the way I look, insecurities about the way I am. When I look in the mirror, I see the truth, the truth of who I am supposed to be, the truth of who I want to be. I see a girl afraid to lose her friends, so afraid she compromises herself for them. I also see a concealed talent that, if unleashed to the world, could be a great thing. When I look in the mirror I see a flawed beauty. Flawed because I stumble on the road to who I want to be, but beauty because I am transforming into the woman I want to be, even though my flaws trip me up sometimes."
T.
"When I look in the mirror I see someone who tries to put on an act, that everything is fine, but it doesn't always work. Someone who tries so hard to please her parents, that nothing is fun. Someone who has to live her life trying not to make mistakes. Someone who really loves basketball, but doesn't think she can play next year. Someone who wonders what it would have been like to have her biological father at all events that are important to her. I see a good sister, daughter, and friend. That's what I see when I look in the mirror."
H.

"When I look at myself in the mirror, I see someone who is not happy with himself. I see a young man who works hard in school and helps his grandparents clean everyday. Deep down, I see a young man who will take care of his grandparents, just like they take care of him. I see someone who appreciates what his grandparents do for him. He may not like what he does everyday, but he knows it's the right thing to do. I see a young man who is almost out of his shelter, but not quite yet. I love to help my grandparents, whether I like it or not, because I would do anything for them."
J.
"When I wake up, I always look in the mirror. I see a boy who has wasted all of his musical talent, because of laziness. I used to be a great pianist, when I was a child, but all of that musical ability went down the drain. Sometimes I look through a similar mirror of past events- my video camera, and I ask myself, "What went wrong?"
P.

"When I look at myself in the mirror I see, a girl who acts like she does not care much about anything, but really does deep inside. I see someone who cares profoundly about her family, friends, school, and future. Someone who has a great amount of intelligence, but gives up sometimes very quickly. Someone who wishes she could lie less. Someone who sometimes wishes she could be a better disciple of Jesus, and pray more, help more, give up for others, and be nicer. Someone who wishes she could be less selfish, a girl who wants to be a better person."

V.
Applicable quote of the day:
''Cowardice and courage are never without a measure of affectation. Nor is love. Feelings are never true. They play with their mirrors.''
Jean Baudrillard

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: