Sunday, January 31, 2016

The Indispensables


I'm in the middle of writing a recommendation for admission to law school for Hanna, pictured on the right in the top picture and on the left in the bottom. Shown with Hanna in both shots is Chelsey. If you wonder why they are pictured, read this entry from April 9, 2010!

For me, teaching without teacher aides would be like playing any sport with a hand tied behind my back; I would be at an extreme disadvantage. This year, the Lord has blessed me with two terrific young ladies who have helped me make it through the rigors of academia. In an attempt to express my gratitude, I try to do little things for them. This morning, I took my aides to STARBUCKS during second period, the hour they spend with me. Pictured above from our road trip are Chelsey Villarreal, in the jacket, and Hanna McAdams. (On Friday, our students are allowed to wear jeans with school spirit T-shirts if you are wondering why the pair are not in uniform.) Chelsey and Hanna do the little things in a classroom and run the errands which allow me to focus on the teaching aspect of my job. They are very good at what they do. Chelsey has been my aide for three years and this is the second year for Hanna. They have become extensions of me and truthfully, can do their jobs without me on many days. They are self-motivating and trustworthy; they have access to my billfold and my computer and I have never thought twice about it. Here is the difficult aspect for me; both young ladies are seniors and I will have to fill their positions next fall but nobody can take their place.


Chelsey has been at Westbury Christian School since sixth grade and her folks are my co-workers. She was a member of my middle school basketball team and though she never scored a point, she led the girls in spirit! (Undoubtedly, this was a precursor to Chelsey being a four year varsity cheerleader and captain of the squad as a senior!) In eighth grade Bible class, Chelsey was so demonstrative that I made her put her hands flat on her desk when she answered a question- that was a struggle for her! Chelsey will continue her education at Faulkner University (Montgomery, Alabama) in August. Chelsey performs two other important functions in my existence. Every Sunday, she fills out my attendance card at worship and she programs in the minutes every ninety days on my pre-paid cell phone. I am praying my world does not crash when Chelsey goes to college!

This is Hanna's second year at WCS and also the second year in my Bible class. She is an excellent student and like me, bought a Honda in the past month! Hanna has a very mature outlook on life and I have been increasingly impressed with her growth since her enrollment. Hanna was born in Vietnam and adopted at a very young age by the McAdams family in Houston. She is very industrious and gifted in a variety of areas. She also is a straightener which is desperately needed in Room 258! In four months, Hanna will be a freshman at St. Edward's University in Austin and has already started supplying me with t-shirts to go along with the ties she gave me for Christmas. T-shirts and ties; the fashion essentials for the well dressed man!

I believe the Lord has blessed me with the opportunity, the ability, and the responsibility to teach the Word of God to young people, using our school as a vehicle. I also believe He allowed me the use of Chelsey and Hanna to facilitate that task. In the giving honor where honor is due department, this is my feeble attempt. Thank you, Chelsey. Thank you, Hanna.

Applicable quote of the day:
Bear in mind that the wonderful things you learn in your schools are the work of many generations. All this is put in your hands as your inheritance in order that you may receive it, honor it, add to it, and one day faithfully hand it on to your children.
Albert Einstein


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail 
me at steve@hawleybooks.com

2 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I wish we had teachers like you when I was a child, perhaps then I wouldn't had spent much of my time outside the door for being naughty.
I bitterly regret that now but I have learned by my mistakes and made sure my own children had the education I never had,

Excellent blog most enjoyable.

Yvonne.

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

Steve, I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. May the Lord continue to shine through you in your Bible teachings. God bless, Lloyd