Wednesday, December 03, 2014

The Christmas Miracle

Do you ever doubt that the Lord will answer your prayer? This is from December 27, 2009.
The weather is bad in Wichita. It snowed all day on the 24th, giving Kansas a white Christmas. On Tuesday, I was reminded of the one thing I don't miss about Nebraska; the cold. Dave and Ben went golfing and I went along for the ride in the cart. I confided in Ben that one of the two reasons I walked away from football was my dislike of cold weather. (The other was my set-in-stone career in the NBA which could only be derailed by a knee injury.) The wind was blustery with a temperature in the mid 30s when they teed off at Tallgrass Country Club. Since Dave is the Tallgrass tennis pro, he and Ben played for free, a terrific price. Seeing it as a family outing, I bundled up and took my camera, hoping to snap my brother and nephew defying the elements. On the third green, I descended from the cart to document this day for possible devotional inspiration. I reached into my pant's pocket for the camera...and it was empty. I looked around the cart: nothing. Assuming I left it in my car or in the pro shop, I waited until Dave finished playing. Searching my car and the pro shop proved fruitless. Dave retrieved the cart and we headed back onto the course, retracing our path to no avail. I left Dave's phone number with the Tallgrass people but with little hope. If it fell out of my pocket, it was probably gone for good, especially with heavy snow in the near forecast. I was disconsolate when we arrived at Dave and Sally's but, amazingly, the phone soon rang. It was Tallgrass- someone playing after us found the camera! My mood changed to elation. That camera holds a great deal of sentimental value to me and its memory card is full of...memories. I won't be so careless again.


I have to be honest with you. Even though I had prayed for its return, that possibility seemed remote and I was positive I'd never see it again. Already, I was calculating the cost to replace the Canon, which had chronicled mission trips to Honduras and China. What is even more amazing to me than the camera being found is that I had so little faith in my own prayer. I asked the Lord that it turn up and then presumed it would not. The preacher in Dave and Scott's church today mentioned Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist. When he doubted the announcement by the angel, Gabriel, that he and his wife Elizabeth were going to have a son, Zechariah lost the ability to speak until John was born. Zechariah disbelieved the message even though he had prayed for a child. Gabriel told him his prayer was being answered and he didn't believe. John the Baptist went on to do great things in the kingdom in spite of his dad. Maybe my camera can help me record events which will make me more effective in spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ. I just hope my voice is not required to take a nine month vacation because of my carelessness, and my lack of faith in prayer.

Applicable quote of the day:
"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess."
God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get cold just looking at your blog.

I guess I'm just a Southern Californian 'Sissy'

MauRembo said...

From Pst Alex Kamau..
Great to be reminded about John the baptist.
With all the prophecy about John... He never realised who he was....
Did his father fail as a message carrier to tell John who he was?