Friday, April 12, 2013

The Pool


This morning as I walked down the intermediate school hallway, I had a short conversation with Jordyn, one of our fifth grade girls. She asked if I was back in the swimming pool yet or of it was still too cold. I think she was testing the waters (bad pun!) as her grandparents live in my apartment complex and my path often crosses Jordyn's by the pool. This is from August 2, 2009.

My summer is over. I know that technically fifty more days must pass but we start in-service in the morning so it's over for me. That means, I have to revert to a school-day schedule. My personality is not addictive but I've had one habit that has dominated my vacation. Three times a day, I've run in my apartment pool; once at 5 AM, once at 10 PM, and once in the middle of the day. I can't tell you  how good I feel when I get out each time. It's hard on my feet so I wear Aqua Shoes which are made for pool activity. No Aqua Shoes for Dave or me in the photos above, taken when we lived in Brooklyn. Men were men in those days. Dave, in his modified Speedos,  foresaw the coming swimwear fashion trends. I'm not sure from the pictures if I was wearing anything but knowing our mom, the most modest woman in the world, I was not without covering.

You might ask how I picked my times to run. It's based on when our pool is most likely to be empty. I don't really like getting in during the middle of the day because Mom had skin cancer and we have at least some of the same coloring. (Before I hop in during sunlight hours, I coat myself with Banana Boat SPF 50 Sunblock.) Each session lasts about forty minutes and I alternate a steady pace and sprinting, still very slow in 5'6" water. Most people like a partner when they run or lift. I don't fall in that category. When there are others in the weight room when I workout, I talk more than I work. When I run by myself, the only distraction comes from my own mind wandering. Usually, I can transport myself into an oblivious-to-the-world zone and the time flies. I'm able to think about a speech I'm giving or what to write about for the next entry. But, the best thing I do is pray.

Do you have a set time for prayer? In Psalm 63:6, David gives us a glimpse into his prayer life.

"On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night." Did anyone ever have a more personal relationship with God than the shepherd king? I bet the Lord was on David's heart and mind around the clock, whether he was governing or battling the enemies of Israel. Surely those conversations with the Almighty were part of his life even as he tended the sheep near Bethlehem. He wrote some pretty good Psalms, too! When did the Savior find communion time with His Father? He often left the Twelve to speak to God privately. We can pray anywhere at any time. Tonight at worship, I hugged two of my former players, told them I loved them, and reminded them that their names go up to heaven before 6 AM each morning. It's easier for me to do that in the pool than anywhere else. But, while I have to plow my way through the chlorinated H2O every day as I pray, Jesus just walked on the water. And here's what I find amazing: He did it without Aqua Shoes.

Applicable quote for the day:
"Somebody said to me, 'But the Beatles were anti-materialistic.' That's a huge myth. John and I literally used to sit down and say, 'Now, let's write a swimming pool.' "
Paul McCartney


God bless,
Steve

Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: