Friday, March 03, 2017

Relatively Speaking....



























































I'm in Hobby Airport waiting to fly to Milwaukee for the celebration of the life of my dad's brother. Uncle Monroe passed away Tuesday and he left an amazing legacy along with Aunt Julia. I've become nostalgic as I consider the road the Lord has put me on and the others who have shared that highway for long stretches. This is a short entry about the northern half of my family tree, from November 9, 2008.

If you are reading this, there is a decent chance you know other Hawleys than the ones who grew up and resided in York, Nebraska. Dad had one brother, Monroe, who is a retired minister, current elder, and well-known author of Christian books, mainly on the Restoration Movement. His wife, Aunt Julia, is a beautiful lady who reminds me of Barbara Hershey (think Hoosiers.) Uncle Monroe and Aunt Julia have lived most of their lives in the same house in Milwaukee and working with the same congregation. We would get together with their family usually one time per year. Like their Dad, all of my first cousins have gone into the ministry or education, or a combination of the two. I have four first cousins on Dad's side; Wayne, Dale, Glynda, and Glenn. Dale was my roommate for one year at York College and the state of our dorm room was Bermuda Triangle Meets Hurricane Camille. It wasn't pretty but we had a great time together. (We lost a basketball in that room in Thomas Hall and did not find it until the end of the year!) Here are some family photos:


1. In the top shot, Glynda, Glenn, and Scott pose in front of our house in York. Scott was in one of his warm moods!
2. In the second shot, Dale and I are in Grandpa's lap as he reads to us while Dave and Wayne eavesdrop. (I'm the chunky one!)
3. In the third shot, we have the whole family at the time. Mom is holding Dave, Aunt Julia has Dale, I'm on Grandma's lap, and Uncle Monroe is in charge of Wayne.
4. In the final picture, the four of us display some awesome winter headgear. Dale (with clenched fist) and I are in back while Wayne and Dave pose in front.


It has been a true blessing to have great Aunts, Uncles, and cousins on both sides of my family. My one regret from childhood is that we lived so far from both Mom's and Dad's side of the family. Both sides have stood by us in the past several years, with the onset of Mom's Alzheimer's and Dad's stroke and subsequent passing. In Psalms 68, we find that, "God sets the lonely in families." Once again, He knew just what He was doing.

Applicable quote of the day:
“Some people are your relatives but others are your ancestors, and you choose the ones you want to have as ancestors. You create yourself out of those values.”
Ralph Ellison

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

1 comment:

drjimwhite said...

Steve, It was great to see the pictures of Monroe and Julia. You probably remember that they are Uncle Monroe and Aunt Julia to my wife. Julia was a sister to Martha's mother, Blanche. I never met Blanche since she died while Martha was so very young. But it's been a joy to cross paths with this side of the Hawley clan. I guess that means we're related! Scary!