Monday, September 22, 2008

Food For Thought



Once more, we were out of school with no power. Our administration challenged our high school student body to volunteer for community service at the Houston Food Bank....and did they ever volunteer! We had more than half of our freshmen-sophomores-juniors-seniors show up in the WCS parking lot at 8:00 this morning for the thirty minute ride to an area of Houston I have never visited before. The folks at the Houston Food Bank do an incredible job! Just organizing a great number of volunteer workers can be a headache but they were phenomenal. I worked at a table with four others: Mrs. Ellis, one of our elementary teachers, and my eighth grade students turned ninth graders Jonathon Solomon, Taylor Ricks, and Rachel Sadler. (Rachel also played for me three years in middle school.) Our job was to disinfect every bottle, can, and food package that came through our station. (All the items had been subject to fumigation and had to be cleaned.) It was fun and all our kids did a terrific job in supporting our community during this crisis and honoring the Lord with our service. This could be an annual event for us. Next time, we just won't invite Ike!

Applicable quote of the day:
"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "
Matthew 25:34-36

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

* SPECIAL THANKS TO KAREN KEESE FOR THE ACTION SHOTS!*

No comments: