Friday, April 03, 2009

The Couple








My folks were inseparable. They were married fifty-nine years, three months, and fifteen days. The times they were apart came when Dad would be preaching gospel meetings. I cannot really think of one without the other. They were not perfect parents, as they readily admitted in countless seminars across the country (and not a few foreign lands) but they prayed constantly and learned from their mistakes. We were incredibly blessed. Dave and I are in the top and bottom shots, along with Grandma Hawley seated at a picnic table. (If you visited our parents, you may recognize that blue table cloth!) Scott gets all the love in the middle two pictures. Or, that might be an infant Billy Idol in the third photo!Applicable quote of the day:
"It's not only children who grow. Parents do too. As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours. I can't tell my children to reach for the sun. All I can do is reach for it, myself."
Joyce Maynard
God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

1 comment:

Family fun said...

I can just see your parents again, holding hands as they walk in God glory! Thanks for sharing! I also loved your talk of her fading with alzheimers. I remember her saying things like that "what do you think?" ;) My favorite all time of her 'alzheimers moment' was when Ted had come with us; she tried to sneek out the back door and Ted caught her just in time. He gently guided her away "Nelda, let's not do that" which got all of our attention (Tom, your dad and I) Roger said "Nelda, what are you up to?" She very quickly, with a big smile on her face, put her arm around Ted and said "Look who came to see us!" what can you do -- we all cracked up laughing....and of course, she did too!