Sunday, August 03, 2008

I Love Church (Joe Widick)

What a joy it is to be able to come on Sunday morning and worship. I hope you can say an “amen” when you read that statement. This past Sunday Elaine and I had our granddaughter Faith sitting with us during worship. Being 7 years old, I know that she does not understand all that is going on during our worship service. She did something Sunday that caught my attention and made me begin to think. She proudly filled out the attendance card for her family in second grade print. At the bottom of the attendance card is a place to put “Notes to the Leaders.” Once again in second grade print, she wrote “I Love Church.” Being one of the church leaders, I know that the card did not make it back around to the elders which is OK. It was probably discarded as simply the writings of a little girl.

Do I love church? No let me change that; do we love church!?” We are old enough to understand what is taking place when we gather together on Sunday Morning. We are old enough to know what this is all about. Do we love what we are doing, or are we simply going through the motions of worship. Is our worship heartfelt or simply a ritual? Do we Love Church?
There is a lot to be said about the sweetness and innocence of a child. Our old world has a way of many times changing that sweetness and innocence. What was once an important part of our lives can change quickly. My prayer will always be that our Faith along with your child, grandchild, niece or nephew will always love church. That it will be something they look forward to. We want them to always enjoy going to Bible classes and participating in the activities of church. We want them to be able to grow old and have fond memories of growing up in church. We want them to have a family one day and instill the same values in their children. What a richer and better world we would live in if we can maintain this love for church in our children.

On one occasion Jesus was asked as question by a teacher of the law. The question simply was; “Of all the commandments, which is the most important? Christ responded by saying; “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.” Once we get in our minds the importance of this great command, it will make a difference in our lives. Maybe just maybe, we will be able to fill out our attendance card and say with a childlike simplicity “I love church!”

Prayer Thought: How me to grow in my love for the body of Christ.

No comments: