Saturday, July 05, 2008

Thoughts From Ruby Parker

Like Steve, I am a teacher at WCS. And, like Steve, I have many stories stored in my memory bank. I withdraw each one from time to time to remind myself of why I do what I do. I’ll share one such story with you now but first I need to preface the story with what’s happening in my life. I turned 65 this year. That’s a milestone in anyone’s life. My older son Chris, and his wife Brooke, surprised me with dinner at Spindletop Restaurant here in Houston. Chris said #65 needed something special. Outrageously expensive, I loved every minute of the evening, and their thoughtfulness made me feel so very special and very much loved. Turning 65 has also forced me to examine the financial aspect of a looming retirement. Never in the past have I regretted spending most of my teaching career at WCS. However, lately, I have begun to have doubts. Financially, I would be in a much better position now if I had stayed in public school and could draw teacher retirement, which would be much more than the social security I will draw. I have really been praying about this and asking the Lord to give me peace about the career path I had chosen so many years ago.

Now for the story. Several weeks ago my eighth period U.S. History class was preparing to take a test. When I called for all books, notes, etc. to be put away, one student in the back of the room, Merrill, raised his hand and asked if we could pray before the test. This happens every so often and so I happily agreed. After the prayer and a resounding Amen by almost every student in the room, heads bowed and brain cells whirred as students began the test. As is my custom, I walked around the room making sure there were no loose review sheets on the floor, etc. What I saw next was God’s answer to my prayer. He spoke as loudly to me as if He were physically standing in front of me. I saw His Word, the Holy Scriptures peeking out of a back pack, tucked under a desk, and positioned between literature and algebra books. What a privilege for me to be some small part of presenting His truth to the 130 students in my classrooms this year, not to mention the hundreds of students that have come before. The magnitude of this blessing came crashing around me, I was overwhelmed with His goodness. I don’t know what the future will bring for my husband, Randy, and I. I do know, however, that the Lord is faithful, and He knows what we need, and He will provide.


Ruby Parker

No comments: