Thursday, July 10, 2008

One/Ten Thousand/Twelve (Joe Widick)

One/Ten thousand/Twelve
I was in my truck going to make a visit the other day, listening to the radio. I heard a commercial (I don’t remember what they were selling). In the commercial there was the statement that said one can make a difference and ten thousand makes a movement. I thought that was an interesting thought for each of us to consider for just a moment. You can see where part of the title comes from, but what about the twelve? If memory serves me correctly it is said of the apostles that they turned the world upside down for the cause of Christ. It made me think that I do want to make a difference and that is something I can do and should do. But to make a movement that sounds overwhelming to me.
If there is one thing believes in Jesus should be known for, it is love. The word love appears in scripture more than 500 times. We would all agree that the essence of the gospel is love, as seen in John 3:16; “For God so loved the world…” The epistle of I John 3:16 elaborates; “By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us.” Christians are commanded to serve one another in love (Galatians 5:13), love their neighbors as themselves (Galatians 5:14), live a life of love (Ephesians 5:2), and love with actions and in truth (I John 3:18). So, if Jesus and His followers are all about love, why do some people love to hate us? Why are there according to one estimate, 200 million persecuted “Christians” in the world today? Jesus told us why! He said on one occasion to his disciples, “Everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed” (John 3:20). Jesus is the light. When He walked this earth, people hated Him because He exposed the darkness of their sin. We are now His light in the world (Matthew 5:14); therefore the world will also hate us (John 15:19).
I believe that our challenge today is to become that movement again. To turn the world upside down for the cause of Christ is our calling. To let the world see in us God’s love and light. Each one who reads this article can make a difference. Think what a movement it would be if the seven hundred or so that are here Sunday morning put into practice the idea of showing God’s love to others. I believe we would have a movement in this community that would gain momentum daily. I believe this movement could turn our community upside down. Could we not each and every day show God’s love in our life, by being a friend, helping those who are down, those who have no one and no hope.

Prayer Thought: Help me to show God’s love in this community.

No comments: