Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Door Of Opportunity: Sevice To Others (Cindy Herring)

How old do you have to be to be a servant? This is the question I will be asking a group of 4th-6th graders tonight at church. You might say, "Well, when I am old enough to go on a mission trip with my church, or maybe when I have my children raised, or maybe when I retire." Let me share with you two individuals that didn’t stop and think about their age or worry when the right time was.The first one’s name is Saylor and he is three. He first started volunteering with me at Healing Hands International (HHI) with his grandmother at the age of two. He was only able to something for a short period of time but as he has grown he continues to have the spirit of being a servant and continues to work with us at HHI. The next person’s name is Fred and he was 93 when he came to work with me at HHI. His entire life was involved with being a servant and I am proud to say when he died at the age of 94, he was still serving others.

I share these examples with you as a parent of two adults because one of greatest gifts you can give your child is the gift of serving others. Steve has done this as a teacher for many years. My daughter, Vanessa, talks about the times Coach Hawley would take the girls in his Bible class to serve an older lady in our town. They would make her feel like a queen for the day. I am sure the lady felt very special, but it did more for the girls in the class and has given them lasting memories. "What Then Is This Child Going To Be?” Thank-you, Steve, for helping Greg and I show our children.

No comments: