Monday, June 30, 2008

Ugo Redux

If you read my entry of June 26, you know about Ugo Ihekweazu. My former middle school student assistant and soon-to-be scholar in the Cornell University medical school is running a marathon. Here is what he sent to all of us at Westbury Christian. I am sure he would love your help/donations for this good cause! (The red ink is in honor of Cornell!)

Dear WCS Family,
As some of you may already know, I have decided to participate in the Washington D.C. Marine Corp Marathon in October as part of the St. Jude Children's research team. (That's right, approximately 26 miles of running!!) This is such an important cause to me entering the medical field because it represents a challenge; not only the obvious challenge of running 20 some odd miles, but it also represents what I will devote my life to: medicine, research, and raising money to fund both. (English teachers, please ignore my semi-colon and colon use there- I tend to be a bit callous with both at times!!) As part of the event, I am pledging to raise money to support the life-saving work of St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital. Myself, a couple of classmates of mine from Cornell, along with my girlfriend and her classmate at Baylor College of Medicine, have all volunteered to participate in the marathon as part of the St. Jude Research Fund. Furthermore, we all decided to form a small fund-raising team which happens to be named none other than "How Far Will Ugo?" (Clearly not my idea, but this is a democratic nation and majority wins--well, at least most of the time!). That said, people can make donations on my behalf, so that I can reach my individual fund-raising goal of $1000. The donations raised will support St. Jude in its mission of finding cures and saving children with cancer and other catastrophic diseases. Your donations will certainly go a long way in finding cures, so this will help many people in our own community and throughout the country. Now some of you (hopefully) may now be asking, "How do I donate?" All you have to do is click the link below. More instructions are also listed below. Whatever amount you are able to donate will truly help-- yes, even a single dollar, Ben Johnson! I truly appreciate your support and will keep you all posted on my progress. Thank you for supporting me as always, but especially in this challenge. You really do make a difference. Also, please do not hesitate to contact me at uni2@cornell.edu (I check that inbox more regularly) or also at 281-389-0052. I'll keep that number during medical school. I'll be in Houston throughout the rest of summer and up until the middle of August (our classes start after Labor Day)

Instructions: 1. Copy and Past the link or just click here: http://stj.convio.net/site/PageServer?pagename=Sponsor 2. Search for 'How Far Will Ugo?' or just search for my name, either should work 3. Find my name and click on it... then take it from there.

Please let me know if you have any questions! Many Blessings!!
Ugo N. Ihekweazu
James 1:27

No comments: