Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Rachel's Memories

Steve,
We've met many times; I am Don and Jeanette's daughter. I enjoy your blog and am so touched to read through the stories about your dad. Here is mine.
I first went to Lafayette Church of Christ when visiting my parents in St. Louis one Christmas. They didn't go with me. At the time, my dad never went to church. I really enjoyed it and recommended to my mom that she go check it out sometime. I was surprised that she did! Even more surprised when my dad agreed to go with her. But then again, maybe I shouldn't have been surprised. I had been praying for years and years for my dad to come to know the Lord. Years. I knew that the Lord had quite a challenge on His hands- He'd need to recruit one of His finest. Someone incredibly smart. Someone amazingly patient. Someone with the answers. That someone He chose was Roger Hawley. Roger and Nelda began a weekly Bible study with my parents. I was truly in awe. I can't even remember now how many of these studies they did before finally my dad realized one day that he did believe. It was an amazing honor to see Roger baptize my dad. I know my parents continued to cherish the fellowship and friendship of your parents. We all just adored Roger's sense of humor and story telling abilities. I adored his and your mother's graciousness. They both had that great talent to make you feel like you were the best in the world at whatever you had done for them. I am so thankful that my family was able to be a part of your family in such an amazing way. We've been so blessed by it.
Rachel

No comments: