Thursday, November 01, 2007

The Blessing

We began working on our next memory verse in my classes today. On Monday, my sophomores and eighth graders will write The Blessing Of Aaron for their first grade of the third six weeks. Found in Numbers 6:24-26, God commanded the first high priest of Israel to use these words to bless his chosen people:
"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."
We spoke of the human need for approval and how parents can have such an effect on the self-worth of their children. We talked of bedtime rituals and how moms and dads can make their kids feel important and ease their fears. I told them about how my folks tucked us in when we were small, prayed with us, and kissed us good-night. With that discussion as background, I gave each student a sheet of paper and had them pen a bedtime blessing to the child they will bring into the world in future years. Tonight, I'll let some of them speak for me.
"Never listen to those who judge you but let you be the judge of yourself. Let them leave you in your sleep and wake up to come to me. Stay where you are loved but welcome others in with an open heart. Never rely on just strength or intelligence but always love."
Alexandra, grade 8
"My dear child, may God be with you throughout all your days. May you be prosperous in everything you do. Take time to think before you make decisions and may God walk you through it. May God keep you safe, soak you with the blood of Jesus, and surround you with angels. I love you very much."
Victoria, grade 10

"My child, know that I am there for you. Forget your troubles and confide always in me. You are my sunshine and you make me happy every day. I'll always love you, no matter what happens. You are my pride and joy. Sleep well and pray that God awakes you in the morning. Good-night and sweet dreams."
Coleman, grade 8

"Go to sleep, my child. Just remember that wherever or whenever you are in trouble, I am your protection. When you face the devil, remember that God and the angels are your sword and shield. Remember, they will protect you when I'm gone from this world. I will love you always. Good dreams."
Nick, grade 10

"Hello, beautiful. Look at what God has given you and He let me be your guide as I show you our Father in Heaven. You can do anything you want to do through God. He is the light in this dark room. Do not be scared, my beautiful, for He is always with you. The love that I have for you is never ending. Let God take you places you can never imagine."
Brittany, grade 10

"My dear gracious child. Sleep well tonight and the nights that follow, for all you do can be forgiven. Go to God in everything you do and the rest of your days will be great. May the angels visit you and relieve you of your grievances. Good-night to you, my child."
John, grade 8


"Buenas noches, mi nino, que duermas con los angelitos. No te seperas de Dios ni de noche ni de dia. I love you." (Spanish version)
"Good night, my child, sleep with the angels. Don't separate yourself from God, neither in the morning or night. I love you." (English translation)
Jessica, grade 10
AMEN

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: