Thursday, June 20, 2019

Whopper Of A Tale


I've pretty much walked away from any fast food but I've always loved the Burger King in  my neighborhood. The following, from January of 2006, is why I love this particular BK.

In my sophomore Bible class yesterday, we talked about the rejection of Jesus in a Samaritan village as he and his men made their way to Jerusalem. The brothers/apostles, James and John, were so irate they asked the Master if they could destroy the unnamed village with fire, ala Sodom and Gomorrah. Jesus chewed the two men out and continued on his way. I asked my class how many people told Jesus and company to stay away and it isn't clear. It might have been a relatively small number. But in their proposed retaliatory strike, James and John would have killed everyone, including the infants and the aged. I asked Pete, who is Greek but whose family owns a Mexican cafe, how many employees it takes to ruin a business and he correctly replied, "just one." But if one can destroy an establishment, maybe one can also build up the reputation of that same business. Today, I am all about Burger King. This is why.

Basketball season ends for my girls in five days and though I will have a letdown, I can get back to eating healthy at night. For weeks on end, the only practical avenue for supper five times per week is fast food: I have no time to prepare anything, no matter how simple. Several weeks ago, Burger King did a mass mailing of coupon books that contain terrific values. Last night, after our Wednesday night Bible study, I swung through the BK drive-through and ordered the buy one Whopper, get one free deal. The voice on the other end told me the bill was $2.70 and instructed me to please drive around. I did and handed the lady at the window the coupon. I reached and found my billfold to pay the tab. To my horror, there was no money inside although my credit card, driver's license, etc. were intact. Embarrassed, I explained to the cashier that I had no cash but my apartment was one block over. Could I run home and get the money? I even offered collateral. She said it wasn't necessary to leave anything behind and the Whoppers would be waiting. I drove home quickly, found my cash wadded up on my desk, and flew back to the drive-through window within five minutes. I again apologized profusely. The lady wouldn't hear of it as I paid. Then, she did something extraordinary. She told me she was going to make two fresh Whoppers for me because the others had been sitting around for awhile. I was stunned. The whole situation had been my fault. I was the one who messed up and yet she wanted to make sure my dinner was of the highest quality possible. The lady handed me my bag of food with a smile and I made the two minute drive home glowing. A small act of kindness that was undeserved made me into a fan of this hamburger franchise. In class today, I told the story in all five periods so over one hundred people heard it. I wish I had caught the young woman's name. I do know she changed my perception of this very large fast food chain. She was the only person I dealt with. One was enough.

In the story of the Samaritan woman Jesus met at a well, as told in John 4, a female outcast had an encounter with her spiritual destiny. She was so impressed with the Teacher that she ran back and brought the whole town to hear the Scripture revealed by the Christ. How many did it take to lead the village of Sychar to Christ? Just one. Who did the disciples, who had gone into the same village to buy food, bring out to hear the wisdom of Jesus? No One. She was the missionary while his followers kept their mouths shut. I love the Burger King commercials in which the creepy character in the king outfit plays football. I bet they spent multi-millions on that ad campaign but I have never gone to Burger King because of ad campaigns, no matter how slick or expensive. I will, however, return because of the kindness of a woman who wears their employee outfit. What was that old Burger King slogan? Have It Your Way. My way, as well as yours, will always be to be treated with kindness and decency. That lady did...and I won't forget.



Applicable quote of the day:
"There are only two things our customers have- time and money- and they don't like spending either one of them so we better sell them their hamburgers quickly."
James McLamore/ Founder of Burger King



God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

3 comments:

hallmark said...

It's good to hear positive stories about people and places. So much of what get's talked about is negative and yet most establishments and the people that work in them, are very decent people.
By the way:
That burger king character is creepy for some reason. I thought I was the only one.

astrosfreak09 said...

That is pretty surprising that she would act that way. Especially after standing there dealing with customers for however long, I'm sure that would be a difficult job to keep. I know people always tell kids to stay in school cause it "beats flippin burgers", and yet, some of those people flippin burgers are some of the nicest people I've met. Some of them seem to have more patience dealing with twice as many people as all of us have when we deal with only two or three. It's amazing the kindness that someone can show when they don't have to.

God Bless
Downtown Brown

Razgriz said...

Thats amazing Coach. My favorite fast-food joint is Jack in the Box but ya know after this story maybe Burger King be my top fave. They do have some of THE BEST french fries.
I like the Burger King guy! :(
Cody