Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Melvin



We all need people in our lives to make us look at things through a different set of eyes. Melvin was my alternate pair of glasses. The following entry is from May 3, 2006.


His name is Melvin and he lives in an adjoining neighborhood where I walk daily. I see him every other month or so. This afternoon, I was walking down the street when a blue compact car pulled over to the curb. It was Melvin. The first thing he always tells me is that he is blessed. Today was the first time I have seen him not walking; Melvin said the Lord just blessed him with the car. It was obvious he was overjoyed. He asked how I was doing and I told him I am trying to cap a good school year with a strong finish. Melvin quoted Proverbs 4:18 to me:
"But the path of the righteous is as the dawning light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day."
(ASV)

He always quotes scripture when I see him. I don't always follow his line of reasoning but I appreciate the fact that he is eager to share his faith. He drove off and I will probably run into him again about July. I am quite confident he will have something to tell me the next time our paths cross.

Peter tells Christians to always be prepared to tell others why we have confidence in our faith. He adds that it should be delivered in a spirit of gentleness and respect. I have kids in school who are always prepared to share their insight on a variety of topics. The designated subject might be fashion or music, pro basketball or movies. The young people are open because they are knowledgeable. They are knowledgeable because they have passion for their chosen area of fascination. Passion leads us to a willingness to spread our fervor to those whose orbits of life intersect with our own. That's why I admire Melvin. He has no reluctance to give God the credit for every good thing in his life, from the sunshine to his new ride. Few of us are as effervescent with our faith in God as Melvin. All of us should be. Melvin gives credit where he believes it is due, which is with the Lord. I asked our Father in Heaven as I walked to give me something to write about today. He gave me Melvin. Thank you, Lord. And thank you, too, Melvin!

Applicable quote of the day:
"Belief is a truth held in the mind. Faith is a fire in the heart."
Joseph Fort Newton

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

http://www.hawleybooks.com/
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: