Saturday, August 06, 2011

Lists

We're back from our faculty trip to Abilene and a Christian school inservice. The bus that was cold yesterday was scorching today. On the way, I put together the first Power Point presentation I've done by myself, getting ready for the devotional I'll give Monday to our faculty. Below is one of the first blogs I ever penned- it ran on November 14, 2005.

I love lists. My history professor at York College, Dr. Robert Scott, loved lists so when I embarked on my teaching career, I followed in his footsteps. Every test I give has lists. My last 8th grade Bible test had this question:
What did Jesus say we should do for our enemies?
Do you know? You should have answered:
1. Love them.
2. Pray for them.
3. Do good to them.
4. Lend to them.


When I was a social science teacher, I always gave test bonus questions about music. For example: List 4 Beatle songs with girls' names:
That's an easy one for any of you who listened to John, Paul, George and Ringo during the formative years. Here are my favorites:
1. Michelle
2. Martha, My Dear
3. Lovely Rita, Meter Maid
4. Polythene Pam


I stopped doing the listing bonus questions when I shifted to the Bible department. I miss it. The truth is, I always liked the extra credit stuff because it let the kids see a different side of me and they'd get excited when they heard one of the songs when riding with their folks who were listening to an Oldies station. So, to indulge myself, I am going to step back in time with a few more listings of my favorite stuff.


The 4 Songs I Wished I Would Have Written:
1. I'm Easy-Keith Carradine
2. In My Life-The Beatles
3. Love And Happiness-Al Green
4. Wild World-Cat Stevens


The 4 Best Books I Ever Read:
1. Black Like Me-John Howard Griffin
2. To Kill a Mockingbird-Harper Lee
3. The Ugly American-William Lederer, Eugene Burdick
4. The Problem of Pain-C.S. Lewis


The 4 Best Movies I Ever Watched:
1. Shane
2. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
3. Wait Until Dark
4. Napoleon Dynamite (Stop laughing)


My 4 Favorite Books of the Bible:
1. Luke
2. Genesis
3. Matthew
4. John


My 4 Favorite Flavors of Blue Bell Ice Cream:
1. Birthday Cake
2. Banana Split
3. Chocolate Covered Cherries
4. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough


I feel better! I needed to unwind. We just had our first basketball game this afternoon- and won. It was not pretty. We almost never talk to the kids about winning and losing but it's more fun to win. This entry would not be complete without one more listing. I can't think of anything more appropriate than this:

The 4 Things We Are Going To Work On Tomorrow In Practice:
1. Footwork
2. Footwork
3. Footwork
4. Footwork


Applicable quote of the day:
"I am scared easily; here is a list of my adrenaline-production:

1. small children
2. policemen
3. high places
4. that my next movie will not be as good as the last one."
Alfred Hitchcock


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
http://www.hawleybooks.com/

E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Coach, I have not commented anything in a while, so I thought I would post something just to keep in touch and all...I like your lists...Birthday cake is my favorite ice cream too...blue bell brand and marble slab brands...I hope you are doing good, and I hope your week is going well...I should know within a few days whether I am accepted...or not into my collee preferance...please keep that in your prayers! Have a wonderful week Coach. You are my hero! -Lauren Bedevian

Devin Raechelle said...

Wow I like yur lists (And i couldnt stop laughing @ the Napoleon part) I dont much care for Blue Bell Birthday Cake ice cream but I will tell you that my favorite kind is Choc-chip cookie dough any brand!!!! heres a list of my own:
my favorite classes this year:
*Bible
*English
*World Geography
*Aid
hope you enjoy and that you have a good week!! See you period after next!!
-Devin

Jenny Parish said...

I always looked forward to your lists!! Thanks for sharing!!